"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things through narrow chinks of his cavern." - William Blake
- John = Ioannes or Yahweh is Great. Murdoch = God, Chief God, Lord. John Murdoch is a god man with amnesia. John was also God's "favorite" disciple.
- Emma = ermen meaning "whole" or "universal". (G)emma - from Schreber's Memoirs of My Nervous Illness.The wholeness she provides after the Chemical Wedding of feminine and masculine. Emma, later is renamed Anna/Hannah = Grace, glorious
- Detective Bumstead = Baumstead; abode of the tree or to hold a place for the tree.
- The Strangers (Mr. Hand) = The Unknown, "little men" - The archetypes of the unconscious; personal and collective.
- Dr. Daniel P. Schreber = Ego? - Named after a composite of Daniel Paul Schreber and his father Dr. Daniel Gottlob Moritz Schreber. Daniel P. Schreber revealed psychosis which included delusions of tiny people in his head, abnormal (at least in those times) female envy and was confined to a sanitarium for many years.
UPDATE: I almost forgot to mention the obvious. The movies themselves are projections. The theater is the image projector; imagination/psychological projection-Jung. We can correlate the movie theater with the overall scenario of the movie. If we consider the theater as the image-in-ation generator (again, the city as the mind of one person), good and evil emanate from this projection. We see Dark City/Schreber's state of mind relate to and are born from these projections. Hence by cleaning up and harmonizing this projector, we get different scenarios.
The deer-prostitute as the inner spiritual growth killed by the shadow or dark content (the shadow, Mr. Hand). The forced prostitution of the deer implies the unconscious dark contents' maliciousness towards the whole self. The mirror reflects/hints to our identification with the deer-prostitute since we are seeing a reflection of "ourselves". This is a common subtle trick used in many movies.
- John notices his fingerprint is a spiral.
- The spiral staircase in John's apartment building.
- Dr. Schreber's lab contains a labyrinth with a rat in it. "A rather crude experiment" he calls it.
- Bumstead notices his coffee and the photo of a fingerprint are both spirals. He then notices the prostitutes are carved with spirals by the Strangers.
- The buildings "grow" in spirals.
- The clouds over Dark City are spiral formed.
- The imprinting needle drills in spiral motion.
- The final explosion and destruction of the machine results in a spiral beam of light toward the heavens.
The golden spiral is the principle underlying rule by which all energy naturally flows in the universe; tornadoes, water pouring, seasons, light waves, subatomic particles (generally speaking). Cycles can be seen as a circle that repeats; over and over. In order to evoke true nature though, it must also never be the same; diversity. This is accomplished by constantly changing the diameter of the circle (X an Y dimensions) and at the same time moving the circle along a path (Z axis). This creates a constantly fluxing, breathing energy flow; see diagram. A spiral is nothing more than a static circle imbued with the life force; dynamism. This is why the ancients used it to represent time; see Anasazi and Celtic/druidic symbolism.